Sunday, March 13, 2011

A walk in the woods


I'm loving this spring weather. Yesterday was GORGEOUS and my sister suggested a hike, which sounded wonderful! It's funny how the dogs can always tell when we are going somewhere instead of just going outside for a potty break. As soon as I let them outside they were doing the "happy dance" around and around the truck. We headed out for a nearby waterfall on the AT.

Abbi always has a crazy amount of energy, so I figured I'd make her get the most out of this hike that I possibly could by bringing her backpack. I didn't know what the temp would be like, so I brought a light jacket, thinking that if I didn't want it I would just stick it in the backpack (in addition to the two water bottles I had loaded her down with) Sure we were going to a waterfall, but Jed is the one who usually gets in the water right? Abbi wouldn't get too wet...ha! Abbi was in the water every chance she got. Needless to say, although I didn't want to wear my jacket, neither did I want to put it in Abbi's pack! :P Abbi is a wonder to me - inspite of the soaking wet 5+ pound pack on her little 40 pound body, she did not slow down one bit - she was literally bouncing off the walls!!...only there were no walls...and then she got home and begged me to throw the ball!

I was proud of Jed too. He can be really bad around other dogs sometimes and we have been working on that a lot recently. I've been trying to teach him that when he sees another dog, he needs to look at me (not growl at the dog.) Well, we met several other dogs on the walk and he was not perfect by any means, but he did show some improvement. For instance, we passed a 10 week old puppy and he started growling. I walked by quickly and then stopped. He sat down and looked right into my face! Believe me, this would have been totally unheard of a few weeks ago. What really made my day was on the way back. Jed was off leash walking just ahead of me. I (stupidly) wasn't really looking ahead, but I noticed Jed suddenly turn around and start quickly toward me. I looked up and there was a man and his black lab, also off leash, coming toward us and only several yards away! I could shoot myself for allowing this potentially VERY dangerous situation by having Jed off leash without watching, but I can't even tell you how proud I was of Jed for coming back to me on his own instead of charging the other dog!!

Nope. My dog are not always perfectly behaved. Yes, they are nearly pulling me off my feed in excitement. :P
Abbi and I at the waterfall. I love the way she poses for pictures! I took her pack off when we got to the waterfall so she could take a rest (as if she needed one!) and swim without me worrying about her.
"Did you call me??!" Yes I did Mr. Jed! That's my boy!
I love this picture. He is just the most darling pup!
He was so determined to get that stick!! Haha!
I love Abbi's back. The bags detach from the super nice harness, which makes it MUCH easier to take them on and off. Also, it is SO tough! The way this dog tears and tumbles through the woods, I don't know how it has managed to last as long as it has, but it is still as good as new!

No comments:

Post a Comment